Saturday, August 29, 2009

An Early Impression (from a late meanderer)

Senator Kennedy’s funeral mass just concluded, a few tears still descending, compels me to voice one of many impressions inundating my being. Teddy, Jr., Patrick and President Obama, all three, deserve enormous gratitude for eulogies that, rather than glossing over the good Senator’s flaws, openly acknowledged their reality. Such openness did not overshadow the overwhelming spirit of appreciation emanating throughout the service, giving due homage to a man who, aware of his imperfections, nevertheless continued to forge ahead to do what he earnestly believed contributed to the common welfare as well as the wellbeing of his family.

So often as a pastor working with families in similar circumstances, it has seemed that the throes of grief produced an unspoken pressure to think of and say only those parts of a person’s life that are complimentary, a hidden expectation that, if followed, leaves an uneasy feeling of artificiality. It also seems to mute families’ ability to provide much help in shaping the funeral service for their loved one.

I, hereby, grant permission to any who happen to be a part of whatever service is held at my passing to be honest about their perceptions of what are surely my weaknesses, and humbly request that such openness will be expressed with understanding and mercy.

Now back to redoing a room in our house recently damaged from ground water that seeped, no gushed, in after heavy rains. From the beatific to the banal...

so, back to forging ahead.

3 comments:

  1. My suspicion is that this post is a trick to see how quickly your readers can go straight to crudities. I will reflect and probably go there, but I did want you to know that I'll do so knowingly!

    "Yeah, Pastor Jim, he did his best sermons when he was hung over . . ."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Roger,

    Nothing like enticing my detractors, which are legion. Fortunately they don't seem to be aware of my blog, yet. There are advantages to being a minor player, and to alerting only my friends to this venture. But, as usual, you're right once again: those who are ill-intentioned will, in time, find this site--but because of your help, I still have option of sending deleterious dribble into cyberspace oblivion where it belongs.

    By the way, how dd you know the secret to my preaching.

    Thanks for stimulating my synaptic capabilities.

    Jim N.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know ....you always have the option of throwing yourself a funeral (party) while you are still here and inviting people to practice their eulogies. ;-)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete